Thursday, December 22, 2011

The best cookies ever?

Last night I had some friends over for an impromptu movie night. My mom always taught me to have baking supplies around in case I needed to whip something up last minute. So I decided to try out a new recipe I had been given for cinnamon chocolate chip cookies (seriously, why didn't I think of that?!). After the first batch was out of the oven and had cooled off I tested out a cookie and it tasted a little....salty. You know that moment you realize you should have trusted your instinct? As soon as I tasted that cookie I thought to myself, "Dang. I knew that seemed like a lot of salt." Because I had never tried out the recipe before I just assumed that it was ok. But unfortunately, it seems as though the measurements given to me were written down wrong.

As I stared at the enormous amount of wasted cookies on my kitchen counter, I was quickly tempted to be upset with myself. I hate wasting food! If I had only trusted my instinct and put less salt in the mixture, the cookies would have turned out fine. Immediately my thoughts turned to a book i've been re-reading called, Redeeming Love. When Angel, the main character, starts a new life with her husband she becomes angry with herself when she can't do simple things like start a fire or cook meals. She has lived the majority of her life as a prostitute (fyi: the book is a retelling of Hosea) and considers herself useless now that she has been taken out of that setting.

In that moment I was reminded how hard we can be on ourselves.  Sometimes I tend to be the kind of person who wants situations to go perfectly. Even if it's something as simple as a movie night. God reminded me in that moment not to take myself too seriously and just have a good time with my friends!

So I cleaned the mess up and had enough time to make something I knew I was good at. When my friends arrived some of them had fun testing out the cookies, though most didn't make it past two bites before they were thrown away! One of these days when I perfect the cinnamon chocolate chip cookie recipe i'll share it here. In the meantime here's a link to what I did make: pumpkin chocolate chip muffins! This is one of my favorite recipes by someone who also happens to be an amazing artist as well.

So learn from me, my friends. Don't take yourself too seriously. And if you mess something up just clean it up and try again!

No comments:

Post a Comment