Monday, January 9, 2012

When I don't understand I will choose You

Friends, or whoever else chooses to read this. I don't quite know what to write, yet I know what I want to say. Ever find out something aweful on Facebook? I'm sure we all have, but one of the hardest things to find out is that someone has died. This afternoon I found out that a girl I was acquainted with passed away yesterday. I don't yet know the details but I do know that I am incredibly sad. A part of me keeps asking myself, "Why? Why do I care?" and if i'm honest i'll admit that that is a very selfish part of me. I could argue that I only met and hung out with this person twice, that most of our interactions were only on Facebook because of distance, or that there was a huge chance I may never have seen her again in my life. Yet there's this other part of me that knows that well before this day I was grateful for the short time I knew her. She had been through her share of struggles when I met her yet she was incredibly resilient. I remember wishing at the time that I could be as tough as her. Because I had never been through what she had been through I felt like I didn't have a whole lot to offer her. In hindsight I realize that this was silly because as someone who knows an eternal Father I had the most important thing in the world to share with her. I'm grateful that in the few conversations I had with her we were able to talk about the faith we had grown up with. I know she still believed in the goodness of God despite all she had gone through.

So let me get to the point...something I know yet am grateful to be reminded of this day. Our lives are important, people. The lives of those you  meet are important. What we share and how we treat each other is so very important. I would like to believe that whenever I interact with friends, family, and strangers I don't waste time talking about junk or having a bad attitude. Yet I know it's something I still need to work on all the time. I'm grateful that I still have a chance to work on that. I know that I want my life to be rich and full of the goodness of my Savior. I hope that's your prayer as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment